Cancer care is now the forefront of modern medicine.
Although with such great technological advancements, the anticancer agents have a low therapeutic index: therefore they possess both useful therapeutic effects and significant adverse reactions.In recent studies, patients have reported an increased use of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) combined with anticancer therapies from Western medicine. Chinese herbal medicine and acupuncture are popular complementary therapy for patients with cancer.
The beneficial effects of Chinese medicine with conventional treatment include:
- Enhanced immunity against tumour cells
- Stabilize the condition prior to surgical operation
- Reduce adverse reaction during or after chemotherapy or radiotherapy
- Reduce symptoms in any stage of cancer such as nausea, vomiting, lethargy, low energy, low appetite, swelling or oedema
- May improve life quality and prolong life
- Enhance the body’s ability to withstand operation, reduce post-operative complications and accelerate rehabilitation